An air conditioner work by circulating coolants via the pipes linking the external and internal compartments and other parts. From the evaporator coils, filters, fans to the condenser and compressor, every part of an AC plays a vile role in ensuring perfect working of the system.
Unluckily, the aircon parts gather dirt, dust, and grime over time due to regular, normal working. The build-up dust, if not cleaned in time, can even block the general working of the system. This is actually why you need to dirt-free. If you see any signs of damage, you should seek expert help for aircon service without delay.
If you have had your AC running all summer to combat the intense heat, you need to know how to clean an aircon filter. You are not alone if you usually forget to replace or clean the AC filter, but this pretty guy should not be rejected. An AC filter performs a few important jobs, removing dust and dirt from the air, and stopping that buildup from affecting your AC performance. To make sure that your machine is in the best condition, you will want to clean your AC often – so we have broken down how to clean the aircon filter using different natural cleaners to help.
How to clean aircon filter with vinegar
- Some models should be removed and replaced instead of cleaning, others need a solid bath before they are ready to use again. If your version can be recycled, here is how to clean an aircon filter with vinegar in 4 simple steps.
- Vacuum your filter to get rid of as much dust and dirt as possible. If you do not have a hose attachment for your vacuum, you can take out the filter and then vacuum. This technique, anyway, maybe a quite messier, as grime and soot is dislodged during removal of the filter. For regular cleaning, you can prevent it after this step.
- Soak your filter in a combination of equal parts water and vinegar for an hour, or two if it is mainly dirty. If you do not have vinegar, a dash of dish detergent will perform the trick.
- Remove and let dry. Do not wash the filters with water, and this will reverse the sanitizing advantages of using vinegar. You can place your filter on top of old towels to hold any excess solution.
- Change the filter and enjoy a chill, clean air.
How to clean aircon filter with baking soda
This is an amazing natural cleaning agent that will clean your AC filter with ease and remove any bad lingering odors. Here is how to clean your AC filter with baking soda in 5 simple steps:
- Vacuum your filter to get rid of excess dust and dirt
- Wet the filter and clean lightly with a bit of dish detergent. You can also take your filter outer area and clean them with a dose.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the filer
- Rinse the filter and let dry
- Change the filter and enjoy a chill, clean air
How to clean aircon filter with delphin vacuum
If you want to clean the inside parts of the system without dismantling them fully, you can use a delphin vacuum to suck in the dust accumulated on the area of the parts, such as evaporator coils, filters, fans, and pipes. Bear in mind, anyway, that cleaning with a vacuum may not be successful when you do not clean regularly. Perfectly, you should use this technique of cleaning after 2 months, if not earlier.
Step-by-step guide to clean aircon filter with delphin vacuum
A very vital part of every AC is its filter. This is a perfect structure that filters the air from airborne elements if you do not clean your AC filters frequently, the dust lowers the work of the AC.
The cleaning of the filters is simple and does not take a lot of effort or time. Here is what you should perform:
- Before you begin, ensure your AC is turned off.
- Open the front panel of the AC, while holding both sides.
- Release the front filter part, then pull the full filter out carefully.
- Wash them under clean water with the help of a soft brush
- Ensure the filters are fully dry, before putting them back in the area.
- Begin sliding the filter from the back, then locate the front part as well as save it.
- Put both filters in your AC and near the front panel.
- Clean your air condition filters every month in order to maintain its performance and efficiency.
Chemical cleaning is a very effective technique of cleaning the filters and other inner parts that have deadly gunk or other corrosive matters accumulated on them due to deficiency of clean-up and maintenance for a long period of time. You need to dismantle the parts and dirt-free them one by one.
How often should you clean aircon filter?
As a common rule, you should clean your AC filters within the indoor unit every four weeks. In a more polluted or dusty atmosphere, you should clean your filters more regularly.
Cleaning your filters is the most vital maintenance job you can do to care for your AC.
Block filters can decrease a system’s work significantly. Changing a blocked-up filter with a clean one can lower your AC power use by anywhere between five to fifteen percent.
Is it safe to put dry sheets in aircon filters?
While it sounds like the best idea to put a dry sheet in the AC filter, do not do it. As perfect as it would be for your home to sell like Island Breeze, you will end up limiting airflow. You also run the danger of creating a mold issue, which may force you to shell out for a new filter.
Now that you know how to clean an aircon by yourself, we will let you in on a pretty secret. You just saved yourself some huge bucks on your power bill. When an AC filter is clogged, the machine has to work harder to chill the air.
Benefits of cleaning aircon filter
A dirty AC filter is one of the big causes of malfunctioning in an air condition unit. Dirty filters make it hard for the AC system to chill the air, making the AC system work twice as hard to chill a room. This can outcome in overheating and eventually, a full breakdown of the unit. If that does not attract you, here is a couple of more reasons why you should keep your aircon filter clean:
- Lower utility bills
In a general household, the cooling system contains a significantly big portion of your monthly power use. On the same note, a dirty AC unit uses more power mainly because your unit is forced to work harder rising its working costs. In general, such AC uses anywhere between 5 to 10 percent more power. By cleaning your aircon unit, you decrease your units need to work harder and thus cut off your power bill.
- Better indoor air standard
Your AC unit does more than just chill your home, they also play a vital role in helping keep the air circulating your house clean and fit. A dirty unit offers a perfect breeding ground for fungi, mold, germs, and bacteria to thrive. As a result, at whatever time you turn on your unit, these elements get blown in the area and pollute the air, affecting you and your family to a big range of respiratory infection and activate asthma attacks.
- Avoid costly future AC repairs and replacement
Leaving AC working in a dirty state will ultimately lead to larger issues and full failure. As your AC unit combines more dirt and dust, it will become harder to clean. Further, your unit is going to overheating as the coils evaporator are not capable to dispel heat competently. Additionally, your unit is producing ice build-ups. These issues can be rejected by having your unit frequently cleaned by an expert AC service.
Additionally, in the process of cleaning your aircon, a professional can detect potential issues that your unit may encounter in the future. Thus, stop more costly repairs, or worse, having to change your full AC unit. It is true that it will cost you to hire professional services, anyway, this is far when you calculate the costs of future replacement and repairs.
- Reduces your carbon footprint
One of the top things you can do to decrease the carbon footprint is to keep your AC well-maintained. Keep your AC working optimally for longer, finally being ore power-efficient over time. By starting out with a clean aircon filter, you are already taking big steps to decrease your power costs.
Keeping your AC unit rightly maintained and regularly cleaned offers a lot of advantages. Those listed above are just some of the key reasons why you should consider having an expert AC company and clean your aircon unit every 12 months. If you do not want to hire a professional company, it is a simple DIP job that can be done in a matter of minutes.
We also have a full guide on how to clean aircon blower. Please kindly have a look and let us know if you need help.